Legally Cover Your Virtual Assistant Business
*This post may contain affiliate links. This means I may earn a small commission (at no cost to you) if you sign up for a program or make a purchase using my link!
Get ready for the best virtual assistant legal advice you’ve ever received.
I’m super excited to be sharing with you today an interview with my friend Danielle Liss from Businessese. Danielle is an attorney who’s passion is to help online entrepreneurs navigate the legal side of their business.
Danielle has spoken at dozens of conferences on legal issues related to bloggers and social media professionals. I asked her to join me on a live call to discuss your top legal questions about becoming a Virtual Assistant.
Topics discussed in this interview:
- Do this ONE thing to make sure that you are legally covered as a virtual assistant (3:13)
- When and how you should update your contract (4:45)
- What’s the consequence of not having a contract for your VA business (6:20)
- What do you do with a client who won’t pay? (7:57)
- Learn the “Certified Letter Approach” for non-paying clients (10:10)
- Should I be a sole proprietor or form an LLC for my Virtual Assistant business? (13:10)
- Should a virtual assistant be insured? (15:30)
- What should you do if your client wants you to sign their contract (16:41)
- What if your client wants to negotiate your contract? (18:05)
- How to bring on subcontractors for your business (23:48)
- What is an NDA and should I sign one? (26:10)
- What if a client doesn’t want you to work with competitors? (28:02)
Check out the full interview here:
PS – sorry the audio is not 100%… but I promise the info is!
Is your VA Business butt covered? Check out the VA Toolbox. It’s all the contracts that you need to get your VA Business off the ground and covered legally.
In the VA Toolbox, you’ll receive:
- A Customizable Virtual Assistant Contract
- Instructions for Personally Customizing the Virtual Assistant Contract
- A Customizable Subcontracting Agreement
- Instructions for Personally Customizing the Subcontracting Agreement
- A mock Portfolio example template
I know what it is to be comfortable financially, but I also know what it feels like to be broke. I’ll admit that my family and I have had times where we didn’t know how we were going to pay the bills. It’s SO stressful. You know you want to pursue entrepreneurship, but the fear…
Overcome the fear of starting your own business. “How do I get over the fear of starting my own business?” “What if I fail?” “What if no one hires me?” Are any of these hitting home for you? Listen…I. Get. You. There have been times in my own business where I was plain SCARED. I…